Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Drive Safely

Drive safely! That's the message everyone gives me. And I plan to, of course. I don't intend to spend my holiday time waiting to have the van repaired. I certainly can't afford to write it off.
But there are five particularly good reasons to drive safely.

First there is Timothy. Tim is almost nine. He goes to school in Mackay and this is his back-to-school photo for 2012. He is going into Year 4. His out-of-school activities are pretty important. Because the family has a pool, he is in the water at every opportunity. He's like a little seal, totally confident in, on and under the water. He also plays golf (fairly well from what I've been told) and is about to sign up for the rugby league season - though he is careful not to get too close to the action!

Cory is six and is going into Year 1. He is a Thomas the Tank Engine fan and seems to have almost every engine and carriage available. Since he was about 18 months old, he has been playing trains and makes very intricate rail layouts with the many metres of track he has accumulated. Construction and strategic games are also his favourites on the computer. He'd rather be inside than out, although he has become a bit of a dare devil at tree climbing.


Hudson is the wild child. He has been a climber since he first managed to struggle to his feet and sees every vertical surface as a challenge. One look at his face and you know he is up to mischief. Yet, he is surprisingly reticent when he is out with strangers. This year at pre-school will be good for him. All he did last year was Kinder Gym to work off some of his excess energy and three year olds have plenty of energy.

Equally energetic is Cooper. At three months younger than his cousin, he is a bundle of mischief. He is very social and affectionate and loves his days at child care. He is a real chatterbox and speaks very clearly (and constantly). I think he is going to be a really sporty kid as he seems to have very good coordination and he loves being out doing things.

My youngest reason to drive safely is Oscar. At six months old, he is just a happy chappy and this makes him the centre of attention. He's at the stage of being up on his knees and about to take off. He sits up and surveys his world. I don't think he ever cries unless he is tired, hungry or hurt. I love the way he goes to bed quite happily. He clutches his little giraffe, then rolls over and closes his eyes - wonderful!

With five little grandsons, why would I be anything but careful and safe on the roads!

2 comments:

  1. By the time you get home Cooper will be 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! An excellent reason to be extra safe. Have a great journey.

    ReplyDelete