Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Thursday 12 February 2015

Rosu Purporio


 My Red Hat Society friend Lynne gave me a companion for my travels. It is a little purple dog in Red Hat regalia. I thought it appropriate to give her a gypsy name as she is travelling with the Silver Gypsy.  Drawing on fairy tale names like Rose Red and Snow White, I have given her the name Rose Purple or Red Purple. In Romanian that is Rosu Purporio, pronounced Rozoo.  So Rosu is ready to leave.

I am also ready but my Angel is still feeling a bit battered and bruised from the hail storm.  The damage to the roof and lining can’t be fixed until materials arrive at the end of the month. I’ve decided to risk heavy rain and go away for a couple of weeks anyhow. The repairer has bogged up the part of the roof which he thinks has leaked so hopefully I won’t drown as I drive around.

The time spent waiting for quotes and repair dates hasn’t been wasted. I have had a reversing camera and mirror fitted. My drive home was an interesting experience as the mirror had been set in reverse. When I checked in the mirror, I’d see a car on the left hand side, then it would zoom past on the right. This was very disorienting. I took it back for the 30 second adjustment that was needed.

I’ve also had some drawers made. There is plenty of room under the double bed but it is only accessible from the outside which involves getting out and walking to the back of the van. This would not be much fun in the dark or the rain or a lonely spot. I’ve had two banks of drawers made and have had the fun today of beginning to fill them. Of course, I immediately discovered that the tubs of clothes, food, utensils and stationery, games and books are more than enough to fill them so the second part of the day was spent taking stuff out again.

A drawer under single bed pulls out into doorway
A bank of drawers behind driver's seat
Drawers under bed, solar screens on doors,
single bed widened and lengthened.


 While I was busy spending money, I had solar screens made for the front windscreen and windows and the rear barn door windows. These are heavy duty insulating panels, made to measure with strong suction pads to hold them in place. I am hoping that this will give me a lovely dark sleeping area so I don’t get that horrible feeling I should get up early and start moving just because the sun is up. Besides, I've just had a custom built inner-spring mattress made. Getting up too early wouldn't help me get my money's worth. I have enough Scottish background to make sure I get good value.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment