Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Thursday 8 October 2015

Tin Horse Highway

I spent the last couple of nights in Kulin. The town offers 72 hours free RV parking, with toilets and showers. Over the three days I was there, I met another 6 going to the Solos rally and probably a dozen couple heading for Albany at the end of the month. The camping area has a tin for depositing receipts. It gives the town businesses an idea of how much free campers spend in these small towns. Those I spoke to had spent anywhere from $50 to well over $300. It is easy to do. Just to fill the van costs me up to $100, depending on the local prices. Add a couple of meals at the cafe and a few drinks at the pub, and there is not much change from $200 - and that is without grocery shopping.

Having the NRL grand final on Sunday meant a long evening at the pub for dozens of eastern state football supporters.Just in case I forget, the Cowboys tied with the Broncos in the last minute of play and then went on to win by one point with a field goal by Thurston in extra time. This was the first all-Queensland grand final and was a cliff hanger to the end.

The big fund raiser in Kulin is the annual Bush Races over three days. I arrived on the last day and didn't go to the races. A few years ago a local lady made a tin and hessian horse to advertise the Race Day and mark the turnoff to the field. This became an annual challenge with hundreds of tin horses made over the years. Some have been there for years. Others are proudly replaced in time for the event. I drove the Tin Horse Highway three times and know that there were still some that I missed. I took far more photos than I needed to but couldn't resist just one more.

kulin.wa.gov.au/main/tourism/tin-horse-highway












No comments:

Post a Comment