Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Wednesday 19 October 2016

It Ain't Necessarily So

Where would you expect to buy tickets to go on a train? Did you say, 'At a railway station'? That's what I thought. On our first day in Sydney, I allowed plenty of time at the Richmond station to buy tickets or cards or whatever travellers needed. The ticket windows were unattended. This was't a problem because a sign in each window informed me that tickets were not sold from the windows anyhow.  Then I tried the machine and was told that I couldn't buy an Opal card from the machine but could only top one up. With nobody official looking bustling around, I finally asked a maintenance worker who was tending the garden. He told me I had to go to Woolworths or Coles or a newsagent. After a ten minute walk to Woolies, I was able to buy a youth's card for Hudson and an adult one for me. I could have got a concession card instead of an adult one, but I could only do that online and have it posted to me.

Today at Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, I really wanted to just have a cable car ride.  Was that possible? No, I had to spend $60 which would take me on all the rides - the cable car, the sky rail and the world's steepest railway. I guess I could have just had an expensive cable car ride but I had an adventurous Hudson eager to do the lot. I was happy to do the cable car and the sky ride on a gondola but a certain grandson called me a wuss - the same grandson who wouldn't pat a little chicken last week.And yes, I survived the railway.

PHOTOS TO COME

MORE TO FOLLOW


No comments:

Post a Comment