Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Friday 20 January 2017

Winter in Summer

My first night in Tassie was spent with Nikki's parents, Helen and Chis when I delivered Cooper into their care. The following day I caught up with Ros and Shannon, Andrew whom  hadn't met, and Cathy whom I should have met in Forbes. We stayed for a couple of days at a free camp at Cooee Point, close to Burnie. It blew a gale - the downside of being right at the waterfront I suppose. While Queensland has been sweltering, it has rarely got above 20 degrees here during the day and real winter weather at night, particularly when the wind picks up.

We have been fortunate to have found free (or almost free) camping each night. After Cooee, Cathy headed off on her adventures. We went on to Rocky Cape Hotel, free camping but a cost to access the amenities. Ros and Shannon and I had dinner at the hotel. It was a delicious meal but our neighbouring guests were early birds and at 9pm we were the only ones there and most of the lights were out. We called out goodnight but got no response. Maybe the staff had also gone home.

Stanley was our next stop for two or three nights - a lovely open space, once again almost on the water. The adventurous trio walked up the steep track to the Nut and did the 2km hike around the top before walking back down. I knew I didn't have a hope of walking the track so decided to take te chair lift to the top and do the top loop. However the lift closed for maintenance several times during the day then closed because of the wind, which continued all the next day as well. I remember having the same problem last time I visited Stanley.

Tasmania has amazing facilities for travellers. At Tall Timbers we had about 4 acres of newly mown, well grassed free camping. The adjoining recreation centre had, for a $7 entry fee, access to a pool, gym, showers and snacks. The other end of the camp had the Tall Timbers resort with laundry available. We didn't bother with dinner at the resort as Andrew had cooked a delicious meal of salmon patties and veges. (The next night because I wasn't feeling well, he provided me with fried eggs and fresh bread.)

This is our second night at Greens Beach, Marrawah with, once more, spectacular sea views and bracing winds. Today we took the Red Boat Arthur River cruise - a wonderful experience leaving at 10am and returning at 3pm. We had drinks as we left and a bbq lunch prepared and served by the owners, Greg and Leslie, The great bonus was our guide. Rob was a third (or maybe fourth) generation farmer and tree feller in the region. He was a walking encyclopaedia of the wildlife, the river and the history of the area, as well as a natural compelling story teller.






Sunset at Stanley
Stanley - the view through my back window
An amazing sunrise, worth getting up for.


The Edge of the World, Arthur River








No comments:

Post a Comment