Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Thursday 3 December 2015

Keeping Myself Amused

As I drove through Tenterfield today, I saw a sign painted on the road, saying 1501. I did a bit of maths and decided that it had nothing to do with the history of the Middle Ages. I thought about a time, one minute after three in the afternoon. That made no sense either. Fortunately within a couple of blocks I came across the same sign, not painted into a white box. It said simply 50 - and I was happy to go with the speed limit.

I entertained myself remembering signs I had seen along the way. A long term storage facility had a huge banner along the side saying 'Children Free'. I know a lot of parents who would be happy to put their kids into storage from time to time, even long term would be seriously considered. That would allow the cereal box header to come into play, 'Adults go free!' As someone who is experiencing the freedom of the road, I wish freedom for all adults.



Bundaberg soft drinks (like sarsaparilla and ginger beer) have a suggestion on the label, 'Invert bottle before opening'. I assume they want us to turn the bottle upside down to dislodge any sediment or to shake up the bubbles or for some other serious reason - and then turn it right way up before opening. Inverting and then opening would result in an empty bottle.

I've been to two Toastmaster meetings in the past two days. On Tuesday night I joined the Gunnedah Toastmasters for a Speechfest meeting. I was lucky enough to get on the program and did the final speech in the Speaking to Inform manual. I was a bit disappointed as I had a wonderful quote to finish with and forgot to read it. Because I have finally, after 35 years of Toastmasters, had the confidence to attempt my speeches without notes, I forgot I had the quotation written out and left on the lectern.

My evening ended on a high as Angela and Peter invited me to camp overnight at their farm. I had planned on free camping at the RV spot near the river but Angela insisted there was nobody there and I should come with them. Apparently there was thunder and lightning during the night but I slept through it all in the total quiet and dark of their property. I was a bit slow getting away as we talked for quite a while and I sorted out a few simple computer issues.

On Wednesday (last night) I went to the advanced club in Tamworth. Like most advanced clubs there were a lot of very experienced speakers and the agenda provided a good variety. I was involved in the warm up exercise and a Just a Minute segment.

I headed off north immediately after the meeting and stopped about half an hour along the road. I thought I had slept well but ended up having a short nap today at Armidale and another at Glen Innes. I was tempted at Tenterfield but continued to the Jennings Hotel which is a step over the border from Wangaratta. Tomorrow I'll be back in Queensland.

No comments:

Post a Comment