Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Friday 9 December 2016

Horse Riders and Hikers




After a quick trip through Bright and Mt Beauty, I looked for somewhere more interesting to stay. I discovered Longfords West Horse Yards. I've never noticed these horse yards before. They are set up primarily for horse riders during the summer months. There are fenced areas set aside for the horses and fairly level camping grounds with cooking pits, tables and benches, and the usual drop toilet. I had just scooted past when I saw campers up the hill from the road and drove up to see what was there.

What I found was a very warm reception from Ruth and Lisa who were on a riding trip and from David who was hiking. Ruth and Lisa had come from Adelaide with horses and pack horses to ride the Alpine trails. David was from Melbourne and had pitched his tent for a few days hiking. The campfire was alight and very welcoming. The evening was clear and cold.
David, Ruth and Lisa appreciate the fire


Through the trees are two horse floats, my van and David's blue tent



















The welcome stayed warm but the weather didn't. The next day was cold and incredibly windy. The van rocked in the wind and I would have been terrified if I had to drive in it. The other two ladies and I declared a doona day - a book, chocolates if available, and a day curled up under the blankets. David walked! Well, there is a story there. He got as far as the first alpine hut, lit a fire and spent the day in comfort.

 Hearing the weather forecast, I was soon in bed. Having slept for about four hours during the day, I amazed myself by sleeping another 8 hours. I missed the first snow shower next morning but made up for it by slipping on ice on my non-slip step stool. The snow wasn't enough to settle and I was soon on the road. With minus 1 temperatures during the night and 7 forecast for the day, I tried to tell myself that this really was Summer.



I have come a trifle closer to Summer this afternoon. I stopped at Angler's Rest for lunch but it was quite crowded, though very beautiful. I continued to Old Coach Road and am parked near a lovely clear creek, which I am sure would be freezing. The temperature here reached 13 degrees during the day so it looks warmer than it really is. My neighbour Alan spent the day out with his metal detector but I don't think he found any gold although the nearest town Omeo was once the site of several gold mines.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting Monica, I enjoyed the read, Carol x

    ReplyDelete