Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Monday 10 April 2017

And the Van Rocked

Wow! I think all of NSW must be on the move - or at least all the topsoil and leaves. I've just checked out Facebook posts and everyone I know seems to be battening down. I had two nights at Forbes and the van rocked both nights. No, I wasn't entertaining or plying a trade! There were 25-35 knot winds. It was good weather for hot soup and a few rows of knitting.

I spent a pleasant couple of hours in Yeoval at the Banjo Patterson museum. Although I have always appreciated his poetry, I really didn't know much about his life, particularly as a war correspondent in the Boer war and his involvement in WW1. I didn't know that he had been awarded an OBE (or CBE?) or that he is listed among the 100 most influential Australians - though I would have assumed that. I talked to the curator (and creator) of the museum for ages and he showed me some of the treasures that are not on display.

One fascinating item was a letter from Banjo's father is a bank manager in Lanark, Scotland that ended up in the museum through an incredible pathway. The letter was the very old style of paper folded, sealed with wax, with three stamps attached. The stamps, over 150 years old, have become very valuable and the letter was bought by an American philatelist who, for some serendipitous reason, had not removed the stamps. When he died, his estate sold the letter as part of the collection to an Australian stamp collector who realised the historical significance of the letter and offered it to the museum. It was obviously meant to be.

After a good hot free shower at the Yeoval showgrounds, I pushed on to Dubbo as it was still early in the afternoon. I am overnighting at a Member Stop Over (MSO) with four other vans. The owner Peter has a huge area and could probably fit about 20 rigs if needed. He and his wife Janet are trying to get enough information to persuade the Dubbo council to make the city an RV friendly town. They have asked visitors to list their spending in the town. After topping up my fuel and having a coffee in town, I accumulated $110 just on my way in. I will probably have to get a few groceries in the morning so there go another few dollars. Anyone who does any sightseeing or visits the zoo will easily double that amount. It would be interesting to see how much is spent in town from the few CMCA members who use the MSO.

No comments:

Post a Comment