Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Wednesday 15 April 2020

Going Viral

I love the way people put a post or a picture on Facebook and ask others to share it so that it goes viral. This year, with Coronavirus spreading at an incredible rate through the world, the idea of anything going viral really concerns us.

Last six months have not been the most encouraging in my life. Since last September, I have been treated for a Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Because the chemotherapy sent my sugar levels into the stratosphere, I spent six days out of every 21 in hospital. Then, when I expected tests to show an all-clear, I had to have another month of radiotherapy. All the time I have felt and looked well so I am not complaining but the light at the end of the tunnel was the thought of getting into my little motorhome and setting our. I finished my treatments just in time for community lock-downs.

I was fortunate, I realise, to be still at home as Australia closed down.  Overseas travel was banned, international tourism was halted, homecoming residents were placed into quarantine, schools and most of the shops closed and state borders were closed. Phrases like social distancing and self-isolation became part of our lexicon. The previous political buzzword  'going forward' was replaced by 'on the other side of this situation.' As our Prime Minister and state Premiers gave press conferences ever day, we stayed at home. I believe our authorities reacted quickly to the situation as our infection and death rate, though serious, are minuscule in comparison to those in similar sized countries.

One of the very positive outcomes of this virus, though, is the increased emphasis on our neighbourhoods.  I love the fact that our particular suburb has a flourishing Facebook page where ideas and suggestions for staying sane are posted regularly. Another positive aspect is the increased interaction with our neighbours, even as we experience social distancing. People we have never met before give an encouraging wave as they pass on their evening walks. A banner has been put up in the park saying, 'Smiles are contagious too.'

Kids are using chalk to draw pictures and write encouraging messages on the driveways. We've been going on a Bear Hunt, looking for the teddy bears people are hiding in plain sight for passers-by. In terms of neighbourhood interaction, we have stepped back 50 years to the days where we knew our neighbours and offered help when it was needed.

Recently, street libraries were set up. There is one, just a little box on the fence, about 150 metres from my home. My other regular one (before social distancing) was in the local shopping centre. This week, I have gone on a brisk walk (my daily exercise) to the street library. There have been times when the only books there have been the ones I had returned. This week, I think everyone is reading! I took six books down and brought back 8. Tomorrow I will return another 5 from the van which I finished ages ago. I am fortunate that I read almost anything, except romance and fantasy (which are probably the same thing for me). I had so much choice today that I realise that I have neighbours with the same taste in books. There is also a tub of kids books, DVDs and games which seem to have a quick turnover as well. I hope, as a teacher and bookaholic, that this is a sign of a resurgence in reading, especially of tree-books as distinct from e-books. E-books are fine if you can't get the real thing but there is nothing like the feel of a book in your hands.

Another very positive outcome of the coronavirus has been the increased traffic on social media sites. I am on a few which I check almost daily where the emphasis seems to be on lifting our spirits with lots of jokes, stories and memes to balance out the grim news around us. Most of my Facebook sites are for travellers - the Solos Network, Solos Cruising Oz and similar. I used to check to see where my fellow travellers were, now I check to see how they are keeping themselves occupied in isolation. Such a dramatic change in a very short time!

I have also gone online with Toastmasters. One of my Pathways projects was all about online activities. I have this blog and others but was unsure how to fill the other projects. Now I am online with club meetings and meetings for specific purposes - daily impromptu sessions, regular educational presentations and wider multi-club meetings. I have learnt to run an online meeting, do a long multi-media presentation, and master many of the intricacies of communication from a distance. Much of this would be familiar to those whose work involves digital communication but for the average person like me, used to face-to-face interactions, this time at home has been a real learning experience. There is a bit of a down side here, though. Instead of slopping around in my pyjamas, I have to get dressed, put on make up, draw in the eyebrows lost through chemotherapy, decide on a wig or turban, and sit smiling in front of a screen.

Life has changed.  I am well aware that for many this will be a very stressful time and will put incredible pressure on family relationships especially where job-losses are included in the mix.  I know I am resilient enough to emerge 'on the other side' with more technical skills and knowledge and with my health and mental health intact. I am fortunate to have close family and caring friends to see me through.

Image may contain: tree and outdoor, possible text that says 'Smiles are contagious too!'


2 comments:

  1. Smiles are contagious. Here's one from me to you. :)
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne. I'm just going through my blogs looking for a bit of affirmation. Thank you for yours.

      Delete