Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Thursday 3 May 2012

Across the Spencer Gulf to a Super Loo

From Cowell to Wallaroo, two hours in comfort on the Aurora V or many hours of driving. I chose the ferry for what the captain called a medium to rough crossing. I love to be on the water but this wasn't pleasant. I was pleased I dozed off and the time went quickly. I did get time to ask Carol, who was on the ferry, about the brown dog. She thinks it is an old farming saying which she got from her grandfather. Apparently brown dogs are meant to be the most tenacious and stubborn. When all the other dogs have been blown away in a high wind, they stand their ground. It takes a fierce wind to blow a brown dog off its chain. 

I am now on the Yorke peninsula. This area is called the Copper Coast and was originally settled by Cornish miners and there are many reminders of that heritage. At the moment I am sitting in Cousin Jack's bakery having a Cousin Jack's slice with my morning coffee. I could have had a cornish pasty - and probably should while I am in town.

Another reminder is the Red Hat group I visited yesterday in Moonta. They are called the Cousin Jennies of the Copper Coast. As well as their formal events, they meet each Wednesday for a games afternoon. I joined them at the home of Queen Vee for a hilarious game of Yahtzee.

Helen, Queen Vee (Viv), Queen Mum Robin
There are three towns very close together. After the afternoon with the ladies in Moonta, I stayed the night in Wallaroo and this morning drove the 8km to Kadina. I have a dental appointment at midday. I have either lost part of a filling or chipped a tooth. Either way, it has to be fixed before I move south. Apart from Kadina, there are only two dentists on the peninsula. I was lucky to get an appointment at short notice.



I have just been to an Exe-Loo. I don't usually use public toilets if I can avoid it. However, this was quite an experience. The building was a clean looking aluminium style with a flashing light outside to tell me that it was unoccupied. When I entered I was directed to lock the door and told I had a maximum of ten minutes. Soft music started, What the world needs now, to serenade me and soothe my stay. When I hit the button to unlock the door, I was thanked for using exe-loo. Excellent!

1 comment:

  1. It was great having you share our fun afternoon playing "games". I still think there was some skull duggery going on--I should have won! Enjoy your travels. Membership Mama Heather of the Cousin Jennie's Red Hatters

    ReplyDelete