Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Monday 7 May 2012

Chinese Doctor's Diversified Portfolio




From my limited knowledge of investing, I understand that the secret of wealth is to have a diversified portfolio to cope with the ups and downs of the share market. (I wanted to say the vicissitudes of the market, because that is an evocative word that I don’t have the opportunity to use often, but I think it is too grandiose for something as down-to-earth as a blog.) I was thinking of this today when I saw YP MEDICAL CENTRE and a bit later YP VETS. I was also musing on the fact that the easiest way for a foreign doctor to get established is to agree to practise in the smaller and more remote areas where Australian graduates don’t want to work and was mentally thanking Dr Yp and others like him who staff the less enticing towns. When I passed YP REFORESTATION SCHEME and YP POLOCROSSE, I finally consigned the good doctor to the rubbish bin and mentally replaced his name with Yorke Peninsula on other signs I saw along the way.
In Minlaten today I was fascinated by a World War 1 fighter plane, Red Devil. It may be the only remaining one of its kind in the world. Aircraft were new to the fighting arena in 1918 and the dimensions of this plane explain a great deal. This single-seat monoplane is 6.2 metres long with a wing span of 9.3 metres and stands 2.5 metres high. Its armoury consisted of an unsynchronised machine gun mounted on the fuselage and shooting through the propellers, a daunting task for the pilot already keeping the plane in the air at the great speed of 130mph.



<><> <><> <><>
I have seen this sign several times
No follow-up sign, no explanation
I moved fairly fast yesterday and ended up spending the night at Parham beach just north of Dublin. I stopped for a couple of hours on the outskirts of Adelaide and met up with Cruisin' Granny (Chris) from the Grey Nomads Forum who is staying at a caravan park, for a relatively long term. She was puzzled when I gave her a twig from the beach tied up with a length of seaweed. It was  seaweed, salt and the smell of the sea to remind her of life on the road.




This afternoon I got a call from Denis to say that Mum has had a stroke so, although I have said my goodbyes many times over, I am heading for home in the morning. It will take me a few days to get home. I have just sent off a number of emails cancelling arrangments that I had made in Adelaide and other places. Nothing was urgent. Next trip perhaps?  When I get home I will add this to round off my blog and put a neat ending to my journey.



2 comments:

  1. Stop creeping over the speed limit. A SA road campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds reasonable. I was thinking it was probably that but also thought of other options that fitted with my odd views of the world - stop creeping up on other drivers, stop being a creep etc. thanks.

    ReplyDelete