Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Monday 18 May 2015

Lessons from a fellow traveller



Life has many lessons to teach - and the teacher may not be who you expect.

 I have learned:

You don't have to suggest to a nine-year old to have a LONG hot shower at a caravan park. He is going to disappear for just long enough to be a worry. He was going to take a long shower anyhow.

Camp kitchens almost always have a television set, usually tuned to sports. A child who has the patience to wait can flick to cartoons eventually. Don't send that child to make a couple of slices of toast and expect him back in less than half an hour.

Camp fires are magnets, not only for kids. Set up a fire and someone will come and rearrange it, explaining how it should be done. Expect everyone in the vicinity to drift over to your fire. It can be a very convivial occasion.


If you let a child sleep in his clothes just once, you are setting yourself up for many nights when he is too tired/ too hot/ too cold to change into pyjamas.

Scenery comes and scenery goes, but iPads go on forever.

When a child asks politely, 'Would it be possible to have a side of veges with my meal?' you know that he is on the verge of scurvy.

Corrugated roads are one of life's mysteries. Do you travel quickly and hit every third corrugation with triple the force? Do you drive slowly and hit every single corrugation but with normal force? Either way, anything insecure on the car will drop off onto the roadside and every filling in your teeth will fall out.And the drawers that he insisted were locked will disgorge their contents all over the floor.

A child who does't eat pasta will happily consume ravioli and spaghetti with meatballs and home cooked penne pasta with curried chicken.

Shopping sharpens maths skills. Send him off with ten dollars for food to cost about $9.50 and he has worked out before he gets to the checkout that he can get a lollipop as well without going over budget.

Check out Cory's blog as well. coryss.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment