Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Sunday 31 May 2015

Mountains and Termite Mounds

It makes total sense that Mt Isa may have something to do with mountains. Why was I surprised?

I have been absolutely amazed by the variation in the landscape. Not having been much further inland than Roma, I had assumed that once you had got over the range you were in flat land forever. I know from my knowledge of geography that I could have identified mountain ranges in the Centre, but somehow that hadn't sunk into my consciousness that they atually exist. The changing colours and contours have been an eye-opener. From mesas (or jump-ups as they are called here) to hills to mountains to full blown ranges, the scenery changes constantly.

I know that it is extremely difficult to take a photo of a mountain range - and definitely impossible with a small digital point-and-shoot. However, that didn't slow me down at all. I stopped constantly to take photos of rocks, clumps of rocks, and rocky outcrops. The type of terrain changed within a few minutes of travel. Being such arid country means that the rock formations are rarely obscured by vegetation. In fact, many of the hills and ridges are dotted with stunted trees, looking like something a child would draw to cover the surface of a painting.

And talking about painting, when I was in Quilpie I visited the gallery of Lyn ??. I loved her work especially her pastels which were thick and rich with colour. When I think of pastels, I am taken back to primary school with the grey art books and pastels which I wrapped in paper because I couldn't stand the feel of them. I have a new appreciation of the medium and the quality of colour which can be achieved. Photos to come.

Although they are not the huge mounds I have seen in the Northern Territory, there are thousands of termite mounds, of all colours depending on the land around them.  I am adding a couple of photos of deep rusty red mounds in the afternoon sun. Spectacular!









No comments:

Post a Comment