Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Tuesday 28 February 2017

Minuteman or Two-Minute Man

In the American War of Independence, a minuteman was a soldier who was prepared to fight the British at a minute's notice. It is also a term that gives some men a bad reputation as a lover! However, a two minute man is different.

I have been driving Sue and John's Magna (Maggie to her friends) while I've been around town. One of the tyres was low on air so I took her to a service station. Service station is a euphemism for a place where you serve yourself and pay for the privilege. . Being an independent woman, I didn't rely on the non-existent service. I positioned Maggie neatly near the air hose. Not sure how much air pressure was required, I connected the opposite tyre to see how much air was in that one. I held down the little silver lever - and watched the air pressure plummet to about 12. So it was now lower than the original. I have to say that whenever I though about inflating tyres, I was worried that I would do the opposite. Talk about self-fulfilling prophecies!

Now, I may be independent but I am not stupid. I know when I am beaten. I took myself into the service station to ask for help. The one attendant had a queue at the register and a number of others busily self-serving outside. I joined the queue, only to be told that there was no other worker there and I would have to wait till there was a lull. That didn't look like anything that was likely to happen soon, so I looked around.

I approached a genial looking man who was about to leave. 'I'm looking for a kind and helpful person with two minutes to spare,' I said as I accosted him. After his initial shock, he admitted to being kind and helpful but only having a minute and a half. That sounded good enough for me. It probably took him about two and a half minutes by the time he re-inflated both tyres. Lovely man! I now know that it is just a matter of pushing something on the air hose into something on the tyre and the air flows in. The little silver lever is for letting the air out if you have over-inflated it. If I can just remember that for next time ....


I was going to talk about my Bruny Island cruise but the photos can tell the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment