Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Tuesday 7 February 2017

Serenity

I haven't been ordered out of Sue and John's driveway yet but I have become a bit of a fixture. They have a lovely spot at Penna, over a bridge and two causeways from the city. The view from every window is spectacular. I've been told that if I walk up the hill to the top of the property, the vista is amazing. I would have done the walk of course but the hill is particularly steep and provides about 40 minutes of strenuous exercise. If I was unfortunate enough to be injured or die on the track, it would be very difficult and expensive to get me out. So by just gazing up, instead of walking up, I am potentially saving my hosts a lot of time and expense. Thoughtful and considerate, as ever! I have to share the space with dozens of wallabies, potoroos, blue tongue lizards, three little red hens, two well-nourished echidnas, and a chicken-eating quoll, all to the accompaniment of kookaburras, blue wren, magpies and other birds I am sure you would recognise.
Sue and John, fountain in background

Would she have stayed to drink if the fountain was working?

Echidna forages along the path


I had a lovely day roaming around Richmond last week. It is another of those little towns which promote themselves well. The area under and around the oldest bridge in Tasmania is invitingly landscaped, with the best photo spots marked. Old Hobart Town which is an authentic model of the original settlement, gives a visual history of the city - augmented by quirky figurines in a variety of serious occupations and tongue-in-cheek activities. Of course, coffee shops and gift stores abound.






Richmond bridge built by convicts

This part of the gaol remains as it was when in full use.

Hobart Town Model Village

No comments:

Post a Comment