Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Wednesday 25 November 2015

As Changeable as the Weather

I left Ceduna, expecting to catch up with fellow traveller, Rae, in Streaky Bay for lunch or maybe Venus Bay for an overnight camp. She ended up in Tumby Bay and I spent the night in Minnipa. Once again there were only a couple of overnighters. I've already forgotten the next stop. (Maybe there wasn't another camp - I may have just lost a day!)

Last night I stayed at Iron Knob, a popular little camp with toilets and a cold shower for the cost of a donation. I was considering a mine tour but it was cancelled because of the heat.(Weather #1 for the day) Despite the heat, the wind picked up and also picked up my awning - just at the time that everyone I had spoken to was either out walking or out of earshot. (#2 ) I had great difficulty putting the awning down by myself with it flapping in every gust of wind. The previous night had been beautiful and, after a few board games with Helen and Bruno, I sat out enjoying the full moon and the balmy weather. Usually I don't leave the awning out as I have had several occasions where I had to take it in some time in the middle of the night, in a roaring wind.

After another scorching day, the roaring wind is back with a vengeance. (Weather #3) I am in Peterborough and had intended to stay in free camping but the lovely wooded site didn't feel so lovely in the wind. So, here I am in a caravan park. The wind is probably picking up constantly. The van is being buffeted by strong gusts. I think I will be rocked to sleep.

If I am to spend a couple of days ducking and weaving from the weather, Peterborough is a pleasant place to be. I went to the Information Centre/ Museum this afternoon and then spent quite a while at a great little display. A very creative couple with amazing attention to detail have recreated carriages and coaches and all types of horse and camel drawn vehicles - completely to scale and beautifully accessorised. As usual, I got a bit carried away with photos. I will try to restrict myself to just a few.


















Depending on the weather (wind warnings and fire warnings) i will go the steam train museum tomorrow. It has been recommended as not just a train collection but a snapshot of industrialisation  in South Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment