Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Monday 16 November 2015

Travel and Talk

I talked today! Okay, so I talk every day! Today I visited a Toastmasters club in South Perth. (Also, very importantly, I had lunch in South Perth at the Secret Garden Cafe. The coffee was good, the food looked interesting and the setting was amazing. The small shop front with a couple of tables opened on to one space after another, most of them garden settings with lovely shade and cool breezes, very welcome in 35 degree heat. It was a very popular spot but masses of plants and quiet nooks made it feel quite intimate. If you live in Perth and haven't been there, give yourself a treat and meet friends for a relaxed meal.)

However, back to Toastmasters! The Sunday Sundowners meet at 4pm Sunday. The club is only about six months old but has some very experienced speakers and an enthusiastic group of novice speakers. There were four guests, which I found interesting on a Sunday afternoon. This was my third visit to WA clubs, having attended Greenbushes and Bunbury clubs as well.

One of the members was surprised when I said I had never seen a segment called Evaluation of the Evaluators, that this is done by the General Evaluator anywhere else. Then I started to question myself. I don't always get the answer I want when I do that. This time I was able to back track to clubs I have been in or visited in the eastern states and the clubs I joined in the UK, Canada and New Zealand. I definitely have not seen it outside WA. I am wondering whether this is part of the revitalised TM program introduced here in a newly established District or just a geographical anomaly. I'll watch out for it. It did occur to me that it could be a segment (perhaps evaluating one of the evaluators) to lead members into the full General Evaluator role.

I will probably visit Kalgoorlie club this week before heading further east.

No sooner thought than done. I have just come home from Touch of Gold TM in Kalgoorlie. It was a great meeting with about 15 attending. It is always good to see something just a bit different - and that really means every club. They all have their own cultures and quirks. One thing I enjoyed tonight was a presentation on Ignite. I have heard of it but never seen it in action. Robyn, who presented it is going to send me details. In effect, it is a 5 minute speech/ presentation consisting of 20 slides, each set for 15 seconds. The club is having an Ignite Night next meeting. I am keen to try it myself but I know that it will be a huge challenge for me to stick to 15 second commentaries.

I have had my Toastmaster fix for a while. As well as Sunday Sundowners and Kalgoorlie tonight, I visited Bunbury club and the club in formation at Greenbushes.

At the same time, I am in touch with my clubs at home. Area 8 Director Kris was pleased with his conference last week with Mark Hunter as a major draw card. Ajit was quick to share  his success winning the Interrnational for Healthy Chatterers, after winning the Humorous for Bunya. I had to remind Trinh to do as I say, not as I do when she went over time in the Impromptu. Dave and Allan and David L rounded out the successes for Peninsula.

I went fishing for compliments today when Alan sent out dates for the executive meetings. I told him I would be there for the January meeting "for what my presence is worth". What choice did he have than to assure me that my presence is treasured?

Jen posted details of her Division conference in March. I was quick to let her know how heartbroken I would be to miss it but I have already signed up for the Solos rally at Forbes. It does seem strange to miss a whole season of competition. I did get to some of the club contests but not the two Areas I am in and now I will miss the Division and District Conventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment