Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Thursday 19 November 2015

Racing a Fire

My neighbour at the caravan park this morning informed me that the road was open between Kalgoorlie and Norseman. It had never occurred to me that it would be closed. When I got around to the morning paper, I read about the devastation of bush fires north of Esperance resulting in the loss of four lives. Rather than spend another day in Kal (as it is fondly called), I decided I should skip dinner with Robin (thanks anyhow, Robin) and hit the road.

Like all sensible travellers, I checked with Main Roads and found that the fires were confined to the far south. I got to Norseman in a couple of hours and pushed on about 80km towards the east. By 3.30pm, I was set up in a shady free camping area having my afternoon nap and planning happy hour with my neighbours.

At about 5pm, Council workers arrived to inform us that the road was about to be closed because of fires. Those travelling west wouldn't have any problem as long as they left promptly. They suggested that, for those of us who were going east, getting beyond Balladonia would be a good idea. It was just over 100 km. That camp ground was deserted within ten minutes - and all those we passed in the next hour or so.

I travelled in tandem with Gaileen and Darren and their two little kids. The speed limit through most of WA is 110 and I was sure the police would rather see us safely out of the fire zone than worry too much about speed limits. Darren obviously thought the same and I zipped comfortably along behind him, occasionally getting close to 120. (Hey! I drive a Sprinter. It is designed to sprint.) There were no flames to be seen but a lot of smoke on all horizons. Once we get through that, we slowed to a more sedate pace and still got to Balladonia before dark.

Five kilometres past Balladonia is one of the usual roadside camps. By the time I arrived, there were several over-nighters. I had picked up coffee and a muffin at the roadhouse. That was enough for dinner. As usual, everything is quiet and dark. My light is the only one still shining and it is about to be turned off. I hope tomorrow is less eventful.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you were safe from the fires. They have swept through one of my favourite areas in the south-east of WA. Enjoy the rest of your journey home and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete