Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Friday 30 March 2012

Great Ocean Road

Memorial to the 3000 Returned Service Men
who built the Great Ocean Road


The Great Ocean Road is fascinating in many ways, not just for the exceptional scenery.  The road itself was built by returned servicemen in an economic stimulus scheme to provide work for thousands of men.  It was constructed as a memorial to those who did not return after the First World War and is the longest memorial in the world.  The start of the road is marked by a memorial arch and sculpture to the workers so it is a memorial at a second level. One of the aims of the construction was to link the coastal towns of the Victorian coast. It was a huge job winding its way along an inhospitable coast with dense forests, high cliffs and rocky mountains that had to be hewn through – a major engineering feat.
Then there is the scenery – one of the most picturesque stretches of coastline. The force of the waves is constantly changing the shoreline. When I brought the kids to this area when they were at school, the London Bridge formation was complete. Not long after that the middle collapsed and, although it still bears the name, it doesn’t bear any resemblance to the original.  I stopped at the Twelve Apostles and several other lookouts along the way, including the Loch Ard Gorge.  All of these places have historical significance and are worth Googling for more details.
The councils and Victorian Government have really promoted this as a world class journey, which it is. Viewing areas and safe parking spots have been set up. Information boards are well done with photos and stories presented in easy to read snatches.  It is interesting to just listen to the variety of languages – and to look at the range of expensive cameras clicking away.
Along the Coast
The Twelve Apostles
Great Ocean Road
Loch Ard Gorge
Loch Ard Gorge
Can you see my car at the end of the walking track?
Neither can I. It was a long walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment