Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Thursday 29 March 2012

People of the Journey - Tasmania

Last year our book club read ‘The People of the Book’ which inspired the title of this blog.
There is a wonderful welcoming spirit among the people you meet on the road. Generally you get to know for a brief time those who are parked near you at night. Sometimes that may be for a few days but often there is just a chat at happy hour. I try to do a quick circuit of the campground when I arrive and introduce myself briefly to everyone. I usually get an invitation to join at least one group for drinks, but I consider it sensible for people to know I am there alone if I need help. (I have had a couple of propositions from fellows also travelling alone - or who would like to be, though most are like me and are alone because they want to be. I haven’t been tempted at all, though it is good for the ego to get an occasional offer.)
Just to keep them fresh in my mind, I will try to recall some of my fellow travellers and a memory-jogger from what I know about them. As I did with my 365 project last year, I will use only first names – but if you recognise yourself and want to be removed from the blog, or to correct my story, just get in touch. The email address is at the top of my home page of the blog.
On my first night in Tasmania, I parked at Sulphur Creek next to Joyce, maybe ten years older than me. She is from Melbourne, originally from Malta. In her van, she has complete freedom. When she stops, she has to use a walker to get around. She must appreciate having the gumption to get up and go when she could be sitting at home feeling sorry for herself. She travels in a pop top, using a small generator to power her TV so that she doesn’t miss all her favourite soaps.  I think she exemplifies rhe spirit of travel. On that same night, Paul came over from another van with a plate of curry for me – insisting that his wife had cooked far too much.
Helen and Chris
Wynyard
I was fortunate to have some time with Helen and Chris, future in-laws who share a grandson, Cooper, with me. I stayed with them on the way over to the north-west coast and on the way back. Right at the end of my trip, I landed back in again.  Chris loaded me up with potatoes which lasted for at least six weeks. He fancies himself (and rightly so) as a cook of chips and showed me the finer points of a good hot chip. Helen works in Wynyard as a carer.  I am sure she is a whirlwind in someone’s house because I have never seen anyone peel veges, clean up etc as fast as she does. If you don’t move, you’ll be washed, dusted or dropped in the bin!
Zudi
In Longford, I met with a group of Red Hat ladies from Burnie, Launceston and Hobart. Zudi invited me to stay when I got to Hobart and I based myself there, coming and going a few times. I feel as though I have known her forever and hope she will visit me later in the year.

Many times along the way, I met people just for an hour or so. Jenny and Blue from Montague Bay gave me fish to see me on my way. I ate that for two days, eventually sharing the last of it with a couple from Hobart, who provided veges to go with the fish and we sat down to a feast, fifty metres from thundering surf!
Red Hatter Merlene, Burnie
with a Mad Hatter
David, Vivienne and Kirra
over the water from Bruny Island
 
David and Judith
Salamanca Markets, Hobart
Marie and Bill at Bay of Fires
Our paths had crossed  in Scottsdale too
In the south west corner, I met up with John from SA and Eric from Queensland, Both were travelling alone and we all stayed at the showgrounds in Queenstown. John was at the same camp in Strahan and both were on the Gordon River cruise that I took. In Queenstown I caught up again with Marilyn and Paul and Nancy and Geoff and their friends Jane and Lindsay. Marilyn and I swapped family news over a couple of days - and a couple of wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment