Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Saturday 3 March 2012

Wet, Windy but still Wandering

The past few days I've been in the north-eastern corner. I started my jaunt there with a few hours in St Helens where the main attraction was free hot showers at the marina. I knew I was heading for a camp with no shower. I never thought I'd see the day where I didn't have at least one shower and in Summer, two or three. It would be hard to skip the shower on a hot day but there have only been two really hot days  and I was in a caravan park then.
Marie and Bill


I spent the last two days at the Bay of Fires. I believe Captain Furneaux named it for the Aboriginal camp fires he saw burning as he sailed this coast in 1773 but it could quite as easily have been named for the orange lichen that covers the rocks up and down the beach. I stayed at a camp called Cosy Corner 2, right on the beach. With wild, windy weather, right on the beach was probably not the best spot to be but it was cosy behind the vans and in bed at night.

Once again I was amazed by the clear white sand and the aqua blue sea, swiftly changing to a deep aquamarine verging on purple. With these contrasts and the orange rocks, the shore here is just magnificent. I waited two days for the sun to come out but there were just momentary flashes of sunlight and nothing better forecast for the next few days.

So again I am on the move. There have been some really chilly days and evenings and I imagine it will only get colder as we move more into Autumn. As I haven't been to the south of the state yet, I thought it was time to go there before it gets too cool. I had met up with Bill and Marie again at Cosy Corner and had a coffee with them in St Helens on the way through (after another hot shower). A quick drive through St Marys and Bichenau has brought me just south of Swansea at Mayfield Bay campground. I had a short walk along the beach but the sand blasted me with so much wind behind it. I'm not being sociable tonight. I'll finish this then read for a while and get away early tomorrow for Sorrell on my way to Port Arthur.

No comments:

Post a Comment