Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Friday 30 March 2012

Wwoofers and Wanderers

This is another of those 'Damnation' posts. The last two seem to have disappeared without a trace - and it takes ages to upload photos even once, never mind twice. But I'll be ladylike and say 'Oh dear!' and try to connect the dots accurately. I am going to publish this as I do each bit because saving doesn't always seem to save. So this will be a work in progress. I will also publish People of the Journey even though it is not complete.

Until a month ago, I had never heard of a Willing Worker on Organic Farms and now I am meeting them constantly. I suppose that makes sense as most of them are working long enough to earn the money for the next stage of the trip or volunteering as a wwoofer to have a break from travel and experience the lifestyle. I imagine that most of them and young and single or travelling in small groups.

Sharing a cuppa with Clement
before he continues his long bike ride
A couple of nights ago, I stayed at the Aire River campground, a busy little free camping area (in fact the only free one I have managed since arriving back in Victoria) spread over both sides of the river. My site was in the smaller area, well grassed and newly mown so there was the lovely smell of just cut grass - and the less lovely traipsing of grass into the van.

One of my fellow campers was Clement. Say that with your best French accent. He is working and exploring on a push bike. I had passed him on the road earlier and admired his stamina on the hills. He has been travelling since November, starting in North Queensland. At home he is a data programmer in a bank, though planning a change after this trip. He is learning about the hard work of farming at the moment. At the Killarney campground the following night, I met up with Tetsu from Japan. He has been working on farms at Shepparton. Travelling in a station sedan, he has set himself up fairly well. He is on his way to the Grampions to do some rock climbing.

As well as these adventurous young men, there are plenty of travellers of all ages. I suppose by staying in the free and budget camps I meet a different style of traveller from those who stay in hotels and motels and even those who always stay in caravan parks, and there are lots of those.  Some of them I meet up with more than once. Tanya and Phil are following a similar route to me and have been at the same parks twice. I expect to run into them again.

With my new awning, I look like a real camper
Although I am perfectly happy poking along at my own pace, it is nice to see a familiar face occasionally. There is a wonderful sense of camaraderie among the people I meet. There are a lot of solos on the road but singles, couples or groups are all welcoming. I have been asked what it is like to be alone and I have to honestly say that I don't feel alone and I get a bit of a shock to be asked.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mon I regularly visit your site and enjoy your commentary. I seem to have lost my hotmail address through lack of use and so cannot access your email address. Could you please write to orourke2011@yahoo.com and I will attach pics for you and write long email. Dante and Pip asserting their presence in my life but mostly happy and easy. Dante thinks it a great game to run away from me which is not great near a road!!
    Talk soon. Keep warm and enjoy the ride.
    Love Carmel

    ReplyDelete