Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Not so Trivial

I must be the world's worst house guest! Almost every day in Hobart I slept late and my poor hostess tiptoed around her own home. Zudi has been so gracious. We had lunch today when I finally got out of bed, and then I left. I didn't get very far. I spent some time in Oatlands with its impressive array of very old buildings. Then I drove on to Campbell Town. By then I was feeling drowsy so stopped for what Jan calls a SCAN - senior citizen's afternoon nap.

As I took a phone call from Krista, heard from Hudson about his day at Pre-school and listened to Cory's homework reading, I stopped in front of one of the hotels. There was an ad outside for a Trivia night as a Cancer fund raiser (Relay for Life, I think).  I enjoy trivia nights so decided to join in. I checked where the RV free camping was first. There was nobody there but it was still early so I wasn't too worried. 

I joined two ladies, Anne and Gloria, but wasn't much help as a contestant. Between us we only managed two points out of ten for the sports topic and anywhere else where we tossed up about an answer, we picked the wrong one. We ended up tied for sixth position - which doesn't sound too bad except that there were only seven teams and that put us at the bottom - not a great result!  However, I had a nice meal and a lovely dessert and pleasant company. What more could I ask for?  At the end of the night though, there were still no others at the camping ground. Anne generously allowed me to park in her driveway, although she was spending the night at the hospital with her husband. It was quiet and safe.

Once again, on Thursday, I have only travelled a short distance. I had been thinking more seriously abiout getting a side awning on the van as I need shade and it takes too much effort to put up a tarp whenever I stop. I am now sitting in a 4x4 Accessories lounge, after visiting two other places. I spent a couple of hours in Launceston having a look around and then brought the van back to be worked on. I don't know how long that will take so I am catching up on mail and banking and anything else I can do while I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment