Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Monday 23 April 2012

Fundamental Facts and Figures. Financial Freedom or Fiscal Foolishness?

Centrelink in its wisdom has decreed that a single pensioner on a full pension can survive on $48 a day. Toss in rent assistance and utilities allowances and we have the grand total of $60 a day. But I have an extra stash. The Canadian government generously gives me a monthly payment for the two years I worked there. By the time Canada takes its tax and Australia factors it into my income, I now have the princely sum of $64 a day to fund my travel – which actually doesn’t sound too bad.  For the moment I ignore the fact that I am still paying my rent weekly, registration and insurances continue and regular bills still drop into my letter box at home and I take my internet connection with me.  So $64 x 30 days =  $1920 a month. I am happily underestimating but I will take $600 off that for rent and home expenses so that leaves me $1320. Divide that by 30 days and I have $44 a day – just about what Centrelink thinks I need!
 But I’ve been keeping a travel diary and I know it is costing me about $2000 a month. Divide that by 30 and that tells me I am spending about $70 a day.  I can manage that. I have a small allocated pension from my superannuation that the government obligingly says I can keep for myself, so in the short term, I can cover my travel at the rate I am spending. Well, I think I can! I’m not much good at figures but I think I am under control. If you are good with numbers, check out my reasoning and tell me if I have it right – but not till I get home. I don’t want to get nervous about finances – and it won’t change what I am doing and how I am doing it.
At home I can keep within a budget but it is a bit harder on the road. There is no point in travelling and not being able to stop and see things, and a lot of places have admission fees.  Even if a donation is expected, you are told what do donate – a gold coin, a small gold coin, a folded note. Travelling alone also means I have to go out of my way sometimes to interact with people or I’d go crazy. I am happy to have a coffee or stop for a light lunch just for human contact. If I also eat breakfast and dinner and buy an occasional bottle of wine and nibblies for happy hour, I may average up to $20 a day on food – more than I’d spend at home but not unreasonable.   It costs $70 to fill the car with fuel. My one night at a motel cost $80. Caravan parks average about $30. National parks and cheap sites are between $5 and $15. Roadside stops are free – but often difficult to find one that seems safe, especially on the mainland. Tasmania had more freebies.
Going back to my $70 a day, I have plenty of choices. I can fill the car and drive a shortish distance, stay free on the side of the road or in a reserve and eat for two days. I can stay in a caravan park for two days and not move the car. I can stay cheap and eat for a few days if I am not driving far. I can do a four hour drive which takes virtually a full tank of fuel but neither sleep nor eat that day. There are lots of wonderful combinations that I have already enjoyed and others that I may have experienced without knowing it! Of course, it is not so cut and dried. Sometimes I spend a couple of hundred dollars then nothing at all for days. $70 is just an average but I thought the options were interesting. Who knows, the figures may even add up!!  I have often been told my logic is flawed and I know my maths is questionable but I still have fuel in the car and cash in my pocket. Seems okay to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment