Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Friday 13 April 2012

Penola

One of the reasons I came to South Australia was to do the Mary MacKillop pilgrim trail, which of course starts and finishes in Penola. All through this corner of the state, maps and street signs direct people to places of interest and everyone I've met has at least some knowledge of the Josephite story.

I have photos for the Mary MacKillop blog but took so many I can post some here as well. Mary had long term connections to Penola as her uncle Alexander Cameron was the first settler in the area and, canny Scot that he was, set up the Royal Oak, the first hotel in town. Mary was governess to his children before the schoolhouse was set up.
Canonisation Photos
Stained Glass Window
Church, Penola
The Schoolhouse



















Father Julian Tenison Wood is better known here than in some other parts of Australia. He was a noted scientist as well as Catholic priest. He was responsible for Catholic education in South Australia for more than ten years and his support of Mary MacKillop and her small group of nuns allowed him to expand the school system with the methods that Mary had developed. I have photos of the Father Julian Tenison Woods park in the MM blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mon,
    Just wanted to let you know that I am following your blog and am enjoying reading about your adventures. I won't have to do any travelling now, I will just travel through you! If you make it out to Charleville during your travels, give me a call and you are welcome to come and stay with us. Our home number is 46 547 786.
    Love,
    Anna.

    ReplyDelete