Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Wednesday 18 April 2012

People of the Journey - South Australia

SA will be about longer term stays so I expect to meet far more fellow travellers.  In the five days at Southend, I had quite a bit to do with Jackie and Paul, and Susan and Natasha and their kids. Once they left, blown away by the Easter storms, I spent some time with Gay and Evelyn. I was sorry not to have met them earlier.
Langhorne Creek was an interesting place. I found it by accident. Driving past, I realised that it was shady and inviting so put down roots for a couple of days. Near me was a family from Western Australia. I was absolutely impressed by the kids, Jennifer aged 14 and Alexander aged 12. Obviously their parents Debbie and Charles were doing the right thing for the kids to be so advanced. They are on the road for a year. Alexander has been accelerated two school classes and Jennifer is working at year 12 level after spending three months in Italy last year. This year of travel is a great opportunity for the kids – though I imagine there are tensions with two generations in a small caravan for months on end. They seem to be managing well.
I spoke to most of the campers over a couple of days there. On the last morning I had to call for help as my battery was almost flat. I could wind down the windows and clean the windscreen but not turn the engine over. I had some offers of help but Ron and Sue had a power pack which they attached to my battery and I was away. Next time I travel long term, I will have one of those. And perhaps next time I won't run so many things without being attached to a power point.

Monday night I went to a Toastmasters meeting of a club called More than Words. The club had formed initially to support speakers with a stutter or stammer. Since then it has broadened. I was lucky enough to get a Table Topic and to evaluate a speech. The photo shows several members and Fiona who was a guest at the meeting. There were a couple of members that I would love to mentor, long distance by email or phone or uTube. I like their attitude and they have a lot to offer and to gain from Toastmasters. I can’t help myself, can I? I must have a messiah complex. If I am approached, I will do it.
Adriana Michalickova
I don't usually use surnames
but with a name like that.....
This evening I spent a couple of hours talking to Adriana from Slovakia, living and working in Prague. She and her boyfriend are cycling across Australia, from Sydney to Perth in three months. They are a bit behind schedule as she has had to stay in Adelaide for medical problems so they are getting the train on Thursday to Kalgoorlie. From there they will cycle the south west corner and be on a plane home in less than a month from now. Impressive!

In Coffin Bay I had arranged to meet Red Hatter Kay. She left me reeling. Tiny and turbo charged! In her working life, she was in a position where she not only had to be extremely organised but also had to organise a busy business - and that takes hard work. Now in retirement she and her husband Tony are involved with a Uniting Church mission in Mwandi, Zambia. Tony is working there at the moment on a project to bring a safe and healthy water supply to the community. They are working with over 720 orphans  (of an estimated 1500 in the district) and other vulnerable children. The emphasis is on feeding them and providing health care and education. The educational opportunities stretch from primary to tertiary schooling with 8 at university and 12 at college. What a difference that mission is making! It gets support from several countries but it is the people of Port Lincoln area who collect donations and pack goods. When enough is gathered, they pack and send a 40ft container to Zambia with everything from clothes to school material and medical supplies. The variety must be incredible - and the work of packing to use every skerrick of space in the container sounds like a nightmare to organise. I am humbled, Kay.
Tess stood guard, Kay's fearless hunter


I Feel Like a Giant with Petite Kay




Some of the Port Lincoln Red Hatters
Who Welcomed me to Their Meeting

My time in South Australia was cut short so there aren't as many people featured here as I had expected. However, those who are here, provide an example of the diversity of my contacts along the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment