Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Limestone Coast

I had a very slow start to the day. I got myself organised and then decided that I'd do some washing before I left. I also wanted to have coffee with Gaye and Evelyn so I decided to combine the two. I had a coffee while my clothes washed, then I had another while my clothes dried. The ladies are sisters-in-law, having coffee with strangers while their husbands fished.

Some of this trip was backtracking from the previous week when I was anxious to avoid the heat and settled instead for cold, wet and windy! I stopped first at Millicent - lots of very old buildings and a very modern looking Catholic church, with the photo of Mary MacKillop which I have come to expect in this corner of Australia.



When I'd driven through before, I noticed signs to the Tantanoola caves and was pleased to find them only a hundred metres from the road and almost flat and easy to get around. (I had booked later for the Engelbrecht caves in Mt Gambier thinking that I could probably manage the 147 steps down - but changing my mind later when I considered that I may be feeling fit now but if I can't drive for a week afterwards it may not be a good idea.)


I booked into the Central Caravan Park which was the same price as the 'cheap' parking at the showgrounds - and had hot showers etc. Right in the middle of town is a sunken garden and cave. I had been there during the day but wanted to see the sound and light show of the local indigenous history on the cave wall at night. So I rugged up, tracksuit, coat, hat and gloves and strode off up the street.  There were about 50 people there for the light show so obviously a lot of tourists in town for the school holidays.

1 comment:

  1. You must be enjoying the winter.

    We have had a few windy days which has bought the overnight temps down - great sleeping weather. If only the kids agreed...

    Love
    Krista

    ReplyDelete