Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Friday 10 February 2012

The Abbey

I had a wonderful day yesterday.  I visited Sister Agnes at the Benedictine Abbey at Jamberoo NSW. She has been there for 25 years after 25 years as a Josephite. I took along a school photo taken when I was in Grade 7 at Caboolture of me and five of my brothers, which is probably how she would have remembered me. We followed up on mutual friends and I also showed off my 365 Project album.

The Abbey is tucked away on a mountain road at Jamberoo. It is a delightful spot. Because the abbey is closed on a Thursday, I had a personal tour of the public areas. I spoke to the sister who makes cards and came away with a few cards for different occasions. The candle making area was closed unfortunately. I have seen the range online and last year the JAN group had bought a Mary MacKillop candle but could have been tempted. The chapel is open to the public and has huge glass windows looking out over greenery.


Sister Benedetta, the guest mistress, got up early cooked a lovely chicken meal and bread and butter custard especially for my visit - then I was sent on my way with a care package, enough to last me for days. Next time I will stay for a few days and enjoy the serenity of the place. I was made so welcome by everyone that I spoke to.

Although I was invited to stay, I decided to push on to Canberra. An hour or so along the way, I began to regret that decision. It was raining and I was suddenly too tired to drive. I pulled over and had a snooze, so easy to do with the bed made up in the back. After a good break, I was grateful for the meal I had with me, just as nice cold as hot, especially with smooth fluffy mashed potatoes!

Dianne and John were as welcoming as ever and Anthony was also home. We stayed up far later than Di usually does and she is drooping a bit this afternoon. John and Anthony had enough sense to go to bed when they were tired. I've told Dianne that they don't need to keep my hours, especially as I don't get up when they do in the morning. (It is not that I want to stay in bed late! I think it's important not to disturb the morning schedules of the household. Does that sound convincing?)

Tomorrow we are planning to go to the National Gallery and see the Renaissance exhibition. I will leave on Sunday as I have to be at Port Melbourne to catch the Spirit of Tasmania on Tuesday evening.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading about your adventure. You seem to be developing a theme of serenity and beauty. Look out for romance on the ship. It will be Valentine's Day after all! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete