Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Thursday 2 February 2012

Busy Spot

Last night I got to Ocean Shores. It was quite a pleasant trip with a bit of rain to cool everything down. I went in to a few little towns along the way and then I stayed at a rest area called Yelgun - a busy little place. It is very well set up with a top parking area for big trucks and a lower area for smaller vehicles.
Where I parked were several covered areas and a couple of bbqs and a toilet area - unfortunately no showers. There were half a dozen campers there when I arrived and I parked between a woman from Adelaide and an almost-local couple returning from north Queensland. After dinner, the four of us got together for a cuppa. Later two young French women in their early twenties arrived and provided most of the excitment of the evening when they locked their keys in their van.

By the time we had decided that none of us could help, it was raining. We waited for the NRMA to arrive from Brunswick Heads. Apparently a Ford Transit van is quite difficult to get into and the mechanic, with six of us giving advice and holding torches, took more than half an hour to get the van open. At that stage we had become friends, sharing stories of our own disasters on the road. This all suited me well because it made for a late night (11pm) so it wasn't too much of a shock to my system. I was a bit concerned that travellers go to bed early and also leave early. That did happen, of course. there were twelve vans there last night and only three when I woke this morning.

I'm only planning to do two or three hours driving today. I guess I can't expect that every evening stop will be as interesting as last night so it will take things as they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment