Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Sunday 5 February 2012

Dwarfed

This photo shows my van parked at Clybucca during the night next to a huge truck. I didn't realise how large those rigs really are.  I couldn't capture the half dozen rigs in a row with my Little Lucy (Toyota Lucida) at one end and a couple of campers and caravans at the other. However, it was fairly noisy as most of the trucks left at midnight. I assume their travel times are calculated on a full day's driving. I stayed at a service station rest stop and appreciated a long hot shower this morning. By then it was 9am so I got my usual night's sleep.


Once again I only travelled about three hours in total yesterday, most of it at 80kmh. I shouted myself to some lovely fresh prawns which I had for dinner last night - ten beautiful large tiger prawns for $4 - and some brie to go with bikkies for lunch today. I've had to turn on the fridge for the first time. I probably won't use it all the time unless I am somewhere with power. It seems very noisy at night and I'm sure it has to be draining the battery when the car is not running.


I have done my usual stop at Macca's to write up my blog. I won't stay long as I can't plug in to power. I asked one of the young workers for a power point and he told me that they don't let customers use power. That was how he worded it. I asked him to speak to a manager who still didn't give me power because of health and safety issues - that Maccas might be responsible if I electrocuted myself! It is so good that they are protecting me from myself. How did I ever survive for more than sixty years plugging into electricity grids all around the world?

1 comment:

  1. Hudson would like to know how your van got so small.

    ReplyDelete