Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Monday 13 February 2012

From Canberra to the Coast

I have had a leisurely trip down from Canberra. I stayed at a service centre last night. These have their good and bad side. The good side is cafe style food and generally good coffee. They also have hot showers, usually free. The bad side is that the truckies stay there as well and they come and go all night. But I have learned where to park to escape most of the noise and lights. The previous night I stayed at a nice little road side place. The southern states do 'roadside' well with the stopping areas well back from the road, toilets and covered tables and varying standards of amenities. There is usually an interesting mix of travellers who introduce themselves, a good safety measure.
 I made a quick detour through Gundagai to see the Dog on the Tuckerbox and the story of Bill the Bullocky. I'm not sure how true the story is but I guess it is as good as any other. While I was on the way, I couldn't resist calling in to Glenrowan where Ned Kelly still stands tall in his home-made armour and weapons.

I made my first visit to Wangaratta. I love the name. It's one of those Aboriginal sounding names which is typically Australian. The town itself is full of interesting contrasts. The Anglican cathedral is traditionally styled, right in the middle of town. Near it is the war memorial. Over the road, completely different is the ultra modern cultural centre. It was well worth the trip into the town.






Today I put my trust in my navigator (GPS Jane) and she took me on the metropolitan ring road to Port Melbourne, missing most of the traffic but going through three toll booths. I had over estimated the time it would take so spent some time at a shopping centre waiting for the ferry. I must say I am impressed with Jane. She accepts whatever I do and calmly gives me a new route when I ignore her. Not that I do that often! My problem is when she tells me to do something in 500 meters and I do it in 400, then she has to get me back on track.

When I got to Port Melbourne, I asked her to find me a ferry. I had a choice of five but the Spirit of Tasmania was at the top of the list and less than a kilometre from where I was. I roamed around a shopping centre for a while as I waited for the ferry to start loading.

The overnight on the ferry was quite okay, very little swell and clear skies. I thought the loading was bit slow. I was comparing with the Vancouver Island ferries which really have loading down to fine art. However the off-loading was much quicker. When I booked, I wasn't given the option of a recliner seat, only a cabin. That worked well. I had a good night's sleep. I had been given a top bunk so I tossed my stuff on it and went down to the bar for a couple of hours. When nobody else had arrived in that time, I took a lower bunk. I bought a 2 month National Parks pass at the on-board tourist office.

Now I am in Davenport. I will ring Marilyn Robinson (O'Rourke) and see where she is before I go much further. Then I'll decide where to go tonight. It is so good to just go as the spirit moves.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mon,

    Just speaking with Margie and she was able to talk me through accessing your blog.
    Sounds as though you are having a leisurly drive down our magnificent countryside. I hope you have a calm ferry trip over to Tas. Take care love Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mon i am drying my hair for work so am typing one handed! i joined google and am not sure if this is right or a reply to your last blogger trish. di said how much she enjoyed your visit. amanda is due in under 4 weeks so i will go down to see family this weekend. she may like a few hrs wothout babies to watch, whereas i would absolutely love to spend time with them. good to hear that you are getting the hang of this gypsie life. we may never pin you down again!

    love carmel

    ReplyDelete