Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Monday 6 February 2012

Bite the Bullet

Yesterday I went a bit further than I planned to and couldn't find a spot to park so I stayed at a caravan park at a place called Raymond Terrrace, quite close to Newcastle. Bad move! The name was familiar but the park was grotty and expensive but I was too tired to go further. Everything was worn and untidy - and they started mowing the next site at 8.30am when that couple moved out.

I decided to bite the bullet and get south of Sydney today. I was surprised at how easy it was. I set the GPS and just followed directions. Somehow I skirted the city and hit the coast south of Bankstown.  Then I looked at my Camps 5 book and took myself to Bundeena which I had never heard of. It is gorgeous - lovely wide beaches and a nice little town. There is even a Toastmasters club but it doesn't meet in the next couple of days. There are some holiday style houses but also some very expensive luxurious homes.
I am staying at Bonnie Vale Campground in the Royal National Park. For $14 a night I have the same view and the same bracing breeze as the owners of the fancy houses on the hill. I regret paying for just one night as it means I'll have to go into town to pay for another night - if I don't get blown away tonight. I have put up my little rear annex and decided not to try for a tarp. It will probably be enough trying to keep the annex attached. There are probably  a dozen campers and vans here and several tents. Because they are spread over several acres, they are close enough for security and far enough away for privacy. The day visitors gates are closed at 8.30 so the local yahoos don't visit during the night.

At lunch time I bought a spinach and feta muffin which will be lovely for dinner tonight. I think I'll go for broke and put a saucepan of water on the barbie and have a cuppa before it gets too dark. All the comforts of home and million dollar views!

1 comment: