Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Going East

I decided not to stay in Launceston. A city is a city. I wandered around a bit and ended up in Scottsdale. This is an RV friendly town with quite a large free camping area on the outskirts of town. There are twenty or more groups here in caravans, campers and tents. I am impressed with the hardy souls cycling or hiking around this mountainous state. They arrive, pitch a tent, cook a meal and look as though they have just done a pleasant stroll.

The local tourist centre is extremely helpful. I got a lot of information and planned a day of sightseeing. My days of course are only half days by the time I get started. I am very thoughtful and try to let those who want to get on the road early have first use of the amenities. There are good facilities here, although a hot shower costs $3 - but that is very cheap camping as this is the only cost to stay. There are efficient bbqs and plenty of taps with fresh water. The resident ducks wander around the camp grounds and obviously don't fear for their safety - probably too old and tough for the pot! A platypus lives in the creek and some campers saw it last night. I will do my little vigil tonight and try my luck.

During the day I went for a drive to the Ralph Falls which are among the tallest falls in Tasmania. They must also be the narrowest falls. No doubt there are times of the year when there is a better flow but today they seemed to be about 50cm wide for most of the fall, and a metre of so at the widest part. That was after a hike down from the car park. The information I got from town said it was an easy 20 minute walk. I've actually done a few walks recently and manage Level 1 walks with no problems. This was not an easy walk and others agreed with me. I went back to the tourist centre and suggested they edit their information as several people who were on the track with me said they would not have started the trek if they had known how difficult it was. There were a few young people who just about ran down and back up, but for oldies the material was misleading.
On the way to the falls I stopped for a while in the very small township of Legerwood to admire the carvings. A number of trees in the town were to be removed because they were becoming dangerous. A forward thinking group raised money for the trees to be carved as monuments to local men killed at war. Each tree features one serviceman e.g one shows a fellow armed and on duty on one branch, asleep and dreaming of his lady love (also carved) on another branch, etc. They have obviously been treated and polished and are a great sight lining the Anzac Park. Another couple are in the park in Scottsdale.

After Autumn, Winter and Summer this last week, it was back to pleasant mild weather today. The scenery is wonderful on a clear day with so many mountains and valleys and trickling streams everywhere I walk. Camping at night is fine. I rarely bother putting up the awning as the van is very cosy at night. There is always someone to talk to and to share a drink or a cuppa. People who are lonely on the road only have themselves to blame.

3 comments:

  1. Great meeting you today, happy travels.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'd love to see your blog if you'll give me that address. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Hi Mon
    All is well here. The usual - some adorable kids and some stroppy ones. Knees strengthening but not fitting in much specific walking apart from work. You sound like you managing some. Super! I enjoy following and waiting for pics too. You always know how to make friends and maintain these friendships. Keep having fun! Carmel

    ReplyDelete