Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Too Far From Coffee

Not that I am addicted to coffee, but I do need my regular fix. So for the past few days I have been far from coffee and out of range for blogging. Someone asked me how I was handling the trip by myself. I got a bit of a shock because I hadn't really thought I was alone. I've been out and about among people, having access to the internet and phone most of the time. When I was reminded, I realised I didn't have any routine or anything I needed to be doing - and it didn't worry me at all. It may be hard to get back into things again when I get home.

I headed west from Wynyard, spending the first night at Peggs Beach campsite. I was so proud of myself - a long walk on the beach several times a day. As usual I met up with a few people. There is always someone to talk to. Just like my parents and grandparents, some of them always have the kettle boiling.

Nighfall at Murrawar, my annex at the side
Next day I moved on to Montague where I met up with Chris's friends and got the promised fish which lasted me for five meals. There was more than enough for me but once it was out of the freezer, I had to use it quickly. I had dinner one night with a couple of young fellows, one from Hobart and one from Melbourne. I supplied and cooked the fish and they tossed in the veges - what a feast!
Arthur River - Edge of the World
Whoever coined the phrase 'as changeable as the weather' was probably thinking of Tasmania. The rain had driven me from Peggs Beach but the weather was beautiful at Montague. However, there were several kilometres of dirt roads and when it looked like closing in, I moved on to Marrawar to a small free camping area. Once again, lovely long beaches and rugged rocky areas. Unfortunately I had rather noisy neighbours with unsavoury vocabularies so decided just to stay the night. I have been moving faster than I had planned, just keeping ahead of the rain when possible. I had hoped to go on the Arthur River cruise but it was pouring with rain and decided against it. I did go as far as the plaque at 'The Edge of the World'. I stayed over at the Rocky Cape Tavern which provides free camping. This has been the first time I've had an afternoon drink since I left home. I also had dinner at the Tavern. Nice!

Then there was Stanley. What a gorgeous town! It helped that it was fine and clear by the time I got there. In my ignorance, I thought that the Nut was the only reason to go there. I don't think I have ever seen so many variations in the colour of the sea, from pale aqua to almost purple.


The town itself is quaint and old fashioned with dozens of beautifully restored or maintained homes. It seems to cater well for tourists with many gift shops, coffee shops etc. I was ready for coffee as soon as I arrived and another before I left in the afternoon. I had left Ye Olde Chocolate Shoppe till last - and then forgot to go back. Can you believe I forgot chocolates!   I spent a couple of hours roaming around Highfield House which gave a great look at the early history, good and bad, of the early settlement days. The displays were extremely varied and imaginative and I got glimpses of life from the point of view from the administrators, the women, visitors from the olde country and indentured servants. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sometimes I think the historic places are too repetitive and uninteresting. This was very well done.


I have come full circle. I've arrived back in Wynyard tonight. I have had a few things I wanted to do to the van. I wanted to anchor a couple of boards which needed to be screwed down. Chris did that for me so they won't be sliding around. There's always something to do - just like housework (if I can actually remember how that goes!) Lovely fresh veges for dinner again tonight and home grown apples with ice-cream to follow. I may need to return! Many thanks to Helen and Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment