Welcome to my travel blog

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a silver gypsy, which sounds classier and more interesting than being a grey nomad.This is an ongoing blog which I usually restart when I hit the road again. It is partly a record of my journeys and partly reflections on issues which arise as I travel.

In 2015 my grandson Cory spent a couple of months travelling with me. The link to his blog is in a sidebar. In 2016 Hudson was my travelling companion. Cooper travelled at the end of 2016. They would love feedback on their blogs. Also in the sidebar is a link to my poetry blog.

Please feel free to read all or any of the blogs. I have discovered that some readers have not been able to Follow or Comment. I would still love to hear from you. You can email feedback to silvergypsy1944@gmail.com.

Thursday 23 February 2012

Always Take the Weather With You.

I'm sure there is a song about that. And I think that must be what I am doing. I'm carrying the rain with me. Someone told me that I couldn't possibly do that as most areas of Tasmania cling to their weather, especially the wind and rain.
Rocky Cape
 Yesterday was a long day. I had another drive around Wynyard with Chris to look down on the town. I then stopped for an hour or so in Somerset to have coffee with Merlene, a Red Hatter, who is organizing a get together on Sunday in Longford. Merlene and some of her fellow Red Hatters meet the cruise ships and welcome visiting Red Hatters to Tassie. I stopped again in Burnie to buy a few nibblies, then headed south.

A couple of times during the day the lights on the dash stayed on when I started the car. Eventually I decided not to risk driving on and stopped in Waratah and called the RACT. With a new battery and a new alternator recently, I couldn't believe I was having trouble. The mechanic tightened the bolts on the battery and all seems to be well. He said both battery and alternator are fine and I can expect trouble-free travelling.

I was running out of options for somewhere to stay by then as it was pretty late but decided against the caravan park at Waratah and went on to Cradle Mountain. There were several rigs in the parking area at the visitors centre so stayed the night.

This morning when I got up, it was Autumn. The van is warm during the night so it was a shock to step outside and be hit by icy air.It has rained all day. People are asked not to drive into the national park unless they are lodging there. Instead a shuttle bus takes you in and drops you at different spots. I went on a paid tour to get the historic and geographic background so there was nothing much to see, scenically - just rain and fog. It has been quite different type of country. The basic area is volcanic and the plants don't have much soil to get rooted in. Even huge trees have shallow root systems and grow slowly. In other places there are large areas of dead and dying trees as though drought stricken. Tomorrow has been forecast as a fine day so I will sleep over and hope for better weather and scenery tomorrow.


This morning (Friday) it was Winter! I had ice on the windscreen which didn't clear for about 3 hours. Once again, I was surprised by the crisp air as it was so warm in the van. But what a beautiful day! I was up very early, before the sun, I think and caught the first shuttle into the national park. The bus was full of walkers making the most of the great weather. I had done a couple of short walks yesterday (500 - 800 metres) and another two this morning about the same length. There weren't many walks available between that length and half day treks which I was not about to embark on. So by 10.30 I was on my way again.

I wandered around the small town of Sheffield which is known as the Town of Murals. The idea came from Chemainus on Vancouver Island which I have visited a couple of times. Ten years ago the town was dying and someone who had been to Chemainus suggested this as a way to revitalise the area. It has worked well. Buildings all through the town have been decorated and each year at Easter there is a competition with good prize money to prepare more.


 

The next town Railton has grown topiary sculptures and has many more under way. Once again it has been a community attempt to build a tourist base for the town. I didn't stay long as I had just had lunch in the previous town. There is only so much coffee a person can drink, even to support the towns which make us welcome.

Tonight I am in luxury (well, comparative luxury) in a caravan park at Longford. I will probably stay here for a couple of nights as I have met up with some Red Hat ladies. We have just come in from dinner after an afternoon drink at one of their on-site vans. They are part of a group meeting on Sunday but making a weekend of it to tie in with the Penny Farthing Festival at Evandale tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. It looks as though a change in the weather is forecast.
    Brisbane - rain, max 24
    Hobart - sun, max 35

    I know which I would rather!

    Love
    Krista

    ReplyDelete